The Diary - Cam Post

Sunday, August 12, 2018

The Diary

SATURDAY. – i am almost an entire day vintage, now. I arrived the day before today. this is as it appears to me. And it should be so, for if there was a day-before-the previous day i was not there whilst it passed off, or I have to recall it. it could be, of route, that it did happen, and that i used to be now not noticing. very well; I can be very watchful now, and if any day-earlier than-yesterdays occur i will make a notice of it. it'll be quality to start right and no longer permit the document get careworn, for some instinct tells me that these info are going to be critical to the historian a few day. For I experience like an test, I feel precisely like an test; it might be not possible for someone to feel greater like an test than I do, and so i'm coming to feel satisfied that that is what i am – an experiment; simply an test, and not anything greater.


Then if i am an test, am I the complete of it? No, I suppose no longer; I suppose the rest of it's far a part of it. i'm the principle part of it, but I think the rest of it has its proportion within the rely. Is my role confident, or do I have to watch it and contend with it? The latter, possibly. some instinct tells me that everlasting vigilance is the price of supremacy. [That is a good phrase, I think, for one so young.]

the whole thing appears better today than it did the day past. in the rush of carrying out yesterday, the mountains have been left in a ragged circumstance, and some of the plains have been so cluttered with rubbish and remnants that the factors were pretty distressing. Noble and delightful works of artwork must no longer be subjected to haste; and this majestic new world is certainly a maximum noble and beautiful paintings. And truly marvelously close to to being best, however the shortness of the time. There are too many stars in some locations and not enough in others, however that can be remedied currently, absolute confidence. The moon got free closing night, and slid down and fell out of the scheme – a completely remarkable loss; it breaks my coronary heart to consider it. There isn’t any other component most of the embellishes and decorations this is comparable to it for splendor and finish. It ought to were fixed better. If we willsimplest get it lower back again –

however of route there is no telling where it went to. And except, whoever receives it's going to disguise it; I understand itbecause i would do it myself. I trust I can be honest in all different subjects, but I already begin to realise that the core and center of my nature is love of the stunning, a ardour for the stunning, and that it might now not be secure to trust me with a moon that belonged to some other character and that character didn’t recognize I had it. I should give up a moon that i found within the daytime, due to the fact I must be afraid a few one became searching; but if i discovered it inside thedarkish, i'm certain I must discover a few form of an excuse for not saying whatever approximately it. For I do love moons, they're so quite and so romantic. I desire we had 5 or six; i'd never visit bed; I have to never get tired lying at themoss-bank and looking up at them.

Stars are top, too. I desire I may want to get some to put in my hair. however I suppose I by no means can. you'll be amazed to locate how a long way off they are, for they do not look it. when they first confirmed, remaining night time, I tried to knock some down with a pole, but it didn’t reach, which astonished me; then I attempted clods until i used to beall worn-out out, but I in no way got one. It become because i'm left-handed and cannot throw correct. even when I geared toward the only I wasn’t after I couldn’t hit the other one, although I did make a few close pictures, for I saw the black blot of the clod sail right into the midst of the golden clusters 40 or fifty instances, just slightly missing them, and if I may want to have held out a bit longer maybe I ought to have got one.

So I cried a bit, which was herbal, I think, for certainly one of my age, and after i was rested I got a basket and started outfor an area on the extreme rim of the circle, wherein the celebs had been near the ground and that i should get them with my hands, which might be higher, anyway, because I could acquire them tenderly then, and not break them. however it was farther than I thought, and at ultimate I had to give it up; i was so tired I couldn’t drag my ft any other step; and besides, they have been sore and hurt me very much.

I couldn’t get lower back domestic; it changed into too a ways and turning cold; but i found some tigers and nestled in amongst them and changed into maximum adorably comfortable, and their breath become candy and high-quality, because they stay on strawberries. I had by no means seen a tiger before, however I knew them in a minute by way of the stripes. If I may want to have one of these skins, it might make a lovely robe.

these days i get better ideas about distances. i was so eager to get maintain of each quite aspect that I giddily grabbed for it, once in a while when it became too some distance off, and from time to time while it become but six inches away butseemed a foot – alas, with thorns between! I found out a lesson; additionally I made an axiom, all out of my very own head – my very first one; THE SCRATCHED experiment SHUNS THE THORN. I assume it is a very good one for one so younger.

I accompanied the alternative test around, the day past afternoon, at a distance, to look what it might be for, if I ought to. however i was now not capable of make [it] out. I suppose it's far a man. I had by no means seen a person, however it seemed like one, and that i sense positive that that is what it is. I realise that I sense more interest about it than aboutany of the other reptiles. If it is a reptile, and i assume it's far; for it has frowzy hair and blue eyes, and seems like a reptile. It has no hips; it tapers like a carrot; while it stands, it spreads itself aside like a derrick; so I assume it is a reptile, though it can be structure.

i used to be fearful of it at first, and started out to run whenever it became around, for I thought it changed into going to chase me; but by and through i discovered it turned into handiest trying to break out, so after that i was no longer timid any greater, but tracked it alongside, numerous hours, approximately twenty yards at the back of, which made it frightened and unhappy. At final it was a good buy involved, and climbed a tree. I waited a good whilst, then gave it up and went domestic.

nowadays the equal component over. I’ve were given it up the tree once more.

SUNDAY. – it is up there but. Resting, seemingly. however that is a subterfuge: Sunday isn’t the day of relaxation; Saturday is appointed for that. It seems to me like a creature this is greater interested in resting than in anything else. it might tire me to relaxation so much. It tires me simply to sit round and watch the tree. I do marvel what it's miles for; I in no way see it do something.

They returned the moon last night time, and i was SO happy! I suppose it's far very sincere of them. It slid down and fell off once more, however i used to be no longer distressed; there may be no want to fear while one has that form ofacquaintances; they'll fetch it lower back. I wish I could do something to show my appreciation. I would like to send them some stars, for we have greater than we can use. I imply I, now not we, for i will see that the reptile cares nothing for such things.

It has low tastes, and isn't type. after I went there the previous day evening in the gloaming it had crept down and changed into trying to catch the little speckled fishes that play in the pool, and i needed to clod it to make it move up the tree again and let them on my own. i'm wondering if that's what it's miles for? Hasn’t it any heart? Hasn’t it any compassion for those little creature? Can it be that it become designed and synthetic for such ungentle paintings? It has the appearance of it. one of the clods took it lower back of the ear, and it used language. It gave me a thrill, for it was the first time I had ever heard speech, except my own. I did not understand the phrases, however they regarded expressive.

when i discovered it may speak I felt a new interest in it, for i like to talk; I communicate, all day, and in my sleep, too, and i am very thrilling, however if I had some other to speak to I could be two times as thrilling, and would by no meansprevent, if preferred.

If this reptile is a man, it isn’t an IT, is it? That wouldn’t be grammatical, wouldn't it? I suppose it might be HE. I think so. in that case one would parse it accordingly: nominative, HE; dative, HIM; possessive, HIS’N. well, i will don't forget it a person and call it he till it seems to be some thing else. this can be handier than having so many uncertainties.

subsequent WEEK SUNDAY. – all the week I tagged round after him and tried to get acquainted. I needed to do the talking, due to the fact he became shy, but I didn’t mind it. He appeared pleased to have me round, and i used the sociable “we” a bargain, because it regarded to flatter him to be blanketed.

WEDNESDAY. – We are getting alongside thoroughly indeed, now, and getting better and higher familiar. He does now nottry and avoid me any more, which is a superb signal, and shows that he loves to have me with him. That pleases me, and that i examine to be useful to him in each way i will, with a view to growth his regard.

during the last day or i've taken all of the work of naming matters off his hands, and this has been a fantastic alleviationto him, for he has no present in that line, and is obviously very thankful. He can’t consider a rational name to keep him, but I do now not permit him see that i'm aware of his defect. every time a brand new creature comes alongside I call it before he has time to expose himself via an awkward silence. on this manner i have stored him many embarrassments. I haven't any defect like this. The minute I set eyes on an animal I know what it is. I don’t ought to replicate a moment; the right call comes out immediately, simply as though it had been an idea, as no question it's far, for i am certain it wasn’t in me half a minute before.

I appear to know simply through the form of the creature and the way it acts what animal it's miles.

whilst the dodo got here alongside he idea it changed into a wildcat – I noticed it in his eye. however I saved him. And i was cautious not to do it in a way that could harm his satisfaction. I simply spoke up in a pretty natural way of beautifulsurprise, and now not as if i used to be dreaming of conveying information, and said, “properly, I do declare, if there isn’t the dodo!” I defined – with out seeming to be explaining – how I comprehend it for a dodo, and despite the fact that I thought perhaps he changed into a touch piqued that I knew the creature while he didn’t, it became quite evident that he well-known me. That became very agreeable, and that i thought of it extra than once with gratification before I slept. How little a thing could make us satisfied when we experience that we've earned it!

THURSDAY. – My first sorrow. the day past he avoided me and appeared to wish i might no longer communicate to him. I could not believe it, and idea there was some mistake, for I loved to be with him, and cherished to hear him communicate, and so how could it be that he ought to experience unkind closer to me after I had now not accomplishedwhatever? but at closing it seemed genuine, so I went away and sat lonely within the region wherein I first noticed him the morning that we have been made and i did not know what he was and changed into indifferent approximately him; but now it became a mournful region, and every little issue spoke of him, and my coronary heart was very sore. I did no longer recognize why very in reality, for it became a brand new feeling; I had now not skilled it before, and it was all a thriller, and that i could not make it out.

however whilst night time got here I could not endure the lonesomeness, and went to the new safe haven which he has constructed, to invite him what I had executed that was wrong and the way I could mend it and get lower back his kindness once more; however he put me out within the rain, and it changed into my first sorrow.

SUNDAY. – it's miles pleasant once more, now, and i'm happy; however those had been heavy days; I do now not think about them whilst i can assist it.

I attempted to get him some of the ones apples, but I can not learn to throw directly. I failed, however I assume the coolest goal pleased him. they're forbidden, and he says I shall come to damage; but so I come to harm via appealing him, why shall I care for that damage?

MONDAY. – This morning I informed him my name, hoping it would interest him.

however he did now not care for it. it's far extraordinary. If he ought to inform me his call, i might care. I suppose it might be pleasanter in my ears than some other sound.

He talks very little. possibly it is because he isn't brilliant, and is touchy approximately it and needs to conceal it. it is this type of pity that he have to feel so, for brightness is not anything; it is in the coronary heart that the values lie. I desire I could make him keep in mind that a loving proper heart is riches, and riches sufficient, and that without it intellect is poverty.

although he talks so little, he has pretty a substantial vocabulary.

This morning he used a notably suitable word. He naturally diagnosed, himself, that it become an excellent one, for he worked it in twice later on, casually. It changed into precise casual artwork, still it confirmed that he possesses a positivefirst-class of belief. truely that seed can be made to grow, if cultivated.

in which did he get that phrase? I do not assume i have ever used it.

No, he took no interest in my call. I attempted to cover my sadness, but I think I did now not be successful. I went away and sat at the moss-bank with my feet within the water. it is wherein i'm going after I hunger for companionship, someone to study, a few one to speak to. It isn't always enough – that cute white frame painted there inside the pool – but it issomething, and something is higher than utter loneliness. It talks once I communicate; it's far unhappy when i'munhappy; it comforts me with its sympathy; it says, “Do not be downhearted, you bad friendless lady; I might be your pal.” It is a great buddy to me, and my handiest one; it's far my sister.

That first time that she forsook me! ah, I shall by no means forget about that – never, never. My coronary heart changed into lead in my body! I said, “She turned into all I had, and now she is gone!” In my melancholy I said, “ruin, my heart; I cannot bear my lifestyles any extra!” and hid my face in my fingers, and there has been no solace for me. And after I took them away, after a little, there she became once more, white and shining and beautiful, and that i sprang into her hands!

That become ideal happiness; I had acknowledged happiness earlier than, but it become not like this, which changed intoecstasy. I by no means doubted her later on. occasionally she stayed away – maybe an hour, perhaps nearly the entireday, however I waited and did no longer doubt; I said, “She is busy, or she is long past on a adventure, however she will be able to come.” And it became so: she usually did. At night time she might not come if it turned into darkish, for she become a timid little issue; however if there has been a moon she could come. i'm now not terrified of the dark, howevershe is more youthful than i'm; she became born after i was. Many and many are the visits i've paid her; she is my comfortand my refuge while my existence is hard – and it's miles mainly that.

TUESDAY. – all of the morning i was at paintings enhancing the estate; and that i purposely saved far from him in the wishthat he would get lonely and come. but he did not.

At noon i ended for the day and took my exercise by means of flitting all approximately with the bees and the butterflies and reveling in the flora, those lovely creatures that capture the smile of God out of the sky and hold it! I accrued them, and made them into wreaths and garlands and clothed myself in them whilst I ate my luncheon – apples, of route; then I sat within the coloration and wanted and waited. but he did now not come.

but regardless of. not anything might have come of it, for he does no longer take care of flora. He called them rubbish, and can't inform one from every other, and thinks it's miles advanced to feel like that. He does not take care of me, he does now not care for flowers, he does no longer take care of the painted sky at eventide – is there some thing he does take care of, except constructing shacks to coop himself up in from the good clean rain, and thumping the melons, and sampling the grapes, and fingering the fruit at the bushes, to look how those residences are coming alongside?

I laid a dry stick on the floor and tried to bore a hole in it with any other one, with the intention to perform a scheme that I had, and shortly I were given an lousy fright. a thin, obvious bluish movie rose out of the hollow, and that i dropped the entirety and ran! I notion it changed into a spirit, and i was so frightened! however I regarded returned, and it becamenow not coming; so I leaned against a rock and rested and panted, and permit my limbs pass on trembling until they gotconsistent again; then I crept warily back, alert, looking, and prepared to fly if there was event; and when i was come near, I parted the branches of a rose-bush and peeped thru – wishing the man turned into about, i used to be looking so cunning and pretty – however the sprite was gone.

I went there, and there was a pinch of sensitive purple dust within the hollow. I placed my finger in, to sense it, and statedOUCH! and took it out again. It become a merciless ache. I positioned my finger in my mouth; and through status first on one foot and then the opposite, and grunting, I currently eased my misery; then i was full of interest, and began to study.

i was curious to know what the crimson dirt became. all of sudden the call of it came about to me, although I had in no way heard of it earlier than. It become fire! i used to be as certain of it as someone can be of some thing in the world. So with out hesitation I named it that – fire.

I had created something that didn’t exist earlier than; I had introduced a new component to the sector’s uncountable properties; I realized this, and become pleased with my fulfillment, and become going to run and find him and informhim about it, thinking to raise myself in his esteem – however I contemplated, and did not do it. No – he might not care forit. He could ask what it became desirable for, and what may want to I solution? for if it changed into no longerappropriate for some thing, but best stunning, merely lovely – So I sighed, and did now not cross. For it wasn’t excellentfor something; it couldn't construct a shack, it couldn't enhance melons, it could not hurry a fruit crop; it turned into vain, it turned into a foolishness and a arrogance; he might despise it and say reducing phrases. but to me it became notdespicable; I said, “Oh, you fireplace, i like you, you dainty crimson creature, for you are beautiful – and that is sufficient!” and become going to collect it to my breast.

but refrained. Then I made every other maxim out of my head, though it become so almost like the first one that i used to be afraid it changed into handiest a plagiarism: “THE BURNT experiment SHUNS THE hearth.”

I wrought again; and when I had made a good buy of hearth-dirt I emptied it right into a handful of dry brown grass, proceeding to hold it domestic and keep it continually and play with it; however the wind struck it and it sprayed up and spat out at me fiercely, and that i dropped it and ran. after I looked again the blue spirit become towering up and stretching and rolling away like a cloud, and immediately I thought of the name of it – SMOKE! – although, upon my word, I had by no means heard of smoke before.

quickly terrific yellow and crimson flares shot up thru the smoke, and that i named them in an on the spot – FLAMES – and i was proper, too, though these were the very first flames that had ever been inside the world. Theyclimbed the bushes, then flashed wonderfully inside and outside of the vast and increasing quantity of tumbling smoke, and i had to clap my arms and chortle and dance in my rapture, it changed into so new and atypical and so extremely good and so beautiful!

He came going for walks, and stopped and gazed, and stated no longer a word for plenty minutes. Then he asked what it became. Ah, it became too horrific that he ought to ask the sort of direct question. I had to answer it, of direction, and that i did.

I said it became fireplace. If it aggravated him that I need to recognize and he ought to ask; that became no longer my fault; I had no desire to harass him. After a pause he asked:

“How did it come?”

some other direct query, and it additionally had to have a right away answer.

“I made it.”

The fireplace changed into travelling farther and farther off. He went to the edge of the blistered location and stood searching down, and stated:

“What are these?”

“hearth-coals.”

He picked up one to have a look at it, however modified his thoughts and positioned it down once more. Then he went away. nothing hobbies him.

however i used to be fascinated. There were ashes, gray and tender and sensitive and quite – I knew what they werewithout delay. And the embers; I knew the embers, too. i discovered my apples, and raked them out, and becamesatisfied; for i am very younger and my urge for food is active. but i was disillusioned; they had been all burst open and spoiled. Spoiled apparently; however it changed into not so; they have been better than raw ones. fire is lovely; a few day it will likely be beneficial, I suppose.

FRIDAY. – I noticed him once more, for a moment, remaining Monday at nightfall, but handiest for a moment. i used to behoping he might reward me for trying to improve the estate, for I had intended nicely and had worked hard. however he was now not thrilled, and turned away and left me. He become additionally displeased on another account: I attemptedall over again to persuade him to stop going over the Falls. That was due to the fact the fireplace had discovered to me a new ardour – quite new, and relatively exclusive from love, grief, and people others which I had already found – fear. And it's far horrible! – I wish I had in no way determined it; it gives me dark moments, it spoils my happiness, it makes me shiver and tremble and shudder. but I couldn't convince him, for he has now not located worry but, and so he could notrecognize me.

No comments:

Post a Comment